The Longest Road
February 8, 2016 | compassion, forgiveness, God's love, humility, Luke 15:20, Mercy, poetry, reflection, Rembrandt, repentance, The Prodigal Son
“So he got up and went back to his father.” — Luke 15:20How many days did he walk,mulling over words he would sayto a father scorned and insulted,replaying scenarios in his mind.Still so focused on himself,all he could
Mercy Healed Me
December 4, 2015 | anguish, betrayal, forgiveness, God's love, grace, healing, loss, Mercy, pain, poetry
(written October 16, 2015 while at the 2015 Milwaukee National OCDS Congress during Adoration)Lord, thank you for your Mercy.You have felt my anguish and pain.The rejection and deception pierced my heartDown to the first thread of muscle.Pain seared through my calmness.Oh, how my heart ached for loss of my marriage.Death! The death of what was supposed to be. “Til death us do part” came way too
Courage of Conviction
October 15, 2015 | candor, Carmelite, church, CNN, consolation, conviction, courage, Cuba, EWTN, forgiveness, God, humility, media, papal visit, Pope Francis, prayer, reconciliation, St. Teresa, U.S., vocation
One of my favorite things about our holy mother, Teresa of Jesus, is her willingness to say the hard things,without fear of whatever her day’s “media coverage” will be reporting and mis-representing. Our holy father Pope Francis shares that courage of conviction. When he dares to offer consolation to his priests and bishops, in the face of the ongoing scandals of sexual abuse of children which
Other Blogs by Secular Discalced Carmelites:
- Bethany Hang Out – a blog by Shawn Chapman, OCDS. Shawn is a member of the Austin community of Secular Discalced Carmelites. She also writes regularly for ATX Catholic online.
- Elizabeth Explores Writing – a blog by Elizabeth Ogilvie, OCDS. Elizabeth is a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.
- Gray Rising – a blog by Tim Bete, OCDS. Tim is a member of the community of the Secular Discalced Carmelites in Dayton, OH.
- Hearth Cake and a Jug of Water – Mary Bellman, a member of the Dallas OCDS community, sends out a daily Carmelite quotation by e-mail. Send her an email at email@example.com if you would like to be added on her mailing list and receive these Carmelite quotations.
- Illumina, Domine – a blog by Pat Enk, a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.