- Blog Central
- About Us
- Our Saints
- Carmelite Calendar
- Safe Environment
Whisper from Within
November 5, 2019
O God, whose hand hath spread the sky
And all its shining hosts on high,
And painting it with fiery light,
Made it so beauteous and so bright
(Text: Cæli Deus sanctissime, attributed to
Saint Gregory the Great, 540-604)
The air not wishing me to ponder it, neither chills nor
Thrills. This is an hour set aside, when counting slowly
Downwards, the heart settles without fading away.
Evening light the colour of rosegold gladioli scampers
Across a broad sweep of sky blue, weaving itself over
And around neighbouring rooftops before spilling
Through the windows. Lavishing over me like falling
Blossoms from an over-flowering crepe myrtle in June, the
Sort of Summer snowfall children in the South enjoy.
Just outside stands an oak tree, dressed in the finest craggy
Bark and dried-up moss, its long arching limbs unperturbed
By gravity's pull – a highway to some – offering shelter to an
Assortment of critters. Its branches close enough for me, to
See tiny green acorns forming amidst the leaves. A breeze
Wonders through the tree as I close my eyes…
…in its wake an unwelcome question rises…imposing itself…
“How close are you, Lord?”
Whatever remains of daylight quickly releases the sky to
Shades of beguiling blues. Playfully elusive blues yielding
Their impressions to artistic works of hand and eye!
Once again huddled beneath the sapphire jeweled
Mantle of nightfall, I bow my head in modest supplication
Soothed by Your gracious assurance.
Written by Hannah De Lisser
Other Blogs by Secular Discalced Carmelites:
- Bethany Hang Out – a blog by Shawn Chapman, OCDS. Shawn is a member of the Austin community of Secular Discalced Carmelites. She also writes regularly for ATX Catholic online.
- Elizabeth Explores Writing - a blog by Elizabeth Ogilvie, OCDS. Elizabeth is a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.
- Gray Rising – a blog by Tim Bete, OCDS. Tim is a member of the community of the Secular Discalced Carmelites in Dayton, OH.
- Hearth Cake and a Jug of Water – Mary Bellman, a member of the Dallas OCDS community, sends out a daily Carmelite quotation by e-mail. Send her an email at email@example.com if you would like to be added on her mailing list and receive these Carmelite quotations.
- Illumina, Domine – a blog by Pat Enk, a Secular Discalced Carmelite of the U.S. Central Province.